At Cite This For Me, we believe in the joy and importance of reading and above all else, we understand how fulfilling it is to learn from a good piece of literature. As reading habits shift and develop and our everyday relationships with books continue to evolve, World Book Day is a reminder of how purposeful and essential literacy and learning are.
World Book Day is in its 19th year and will be celebrated on 3 March, 2016. We know you love reading as much as we do, so we thought we would share some interesting facts and unique tidbits about books and literature.
Did you know…
- 1 million: total amount of words read annually by a person who reads 15 minutes a day (Seth and Institute, 2014).
- Lee Rainie found that E-book reading is rising but just 4% of Americans are “e-book only” readers (Rainie, 2014).
- The first book printed in Oxford was a study of the Apostles’ Creed. (Interestingliterature, 2015).
- The word ‘boghandler’ is the Danish word for ‘bookseller’ (Interestingliterature, 2015).
- Book clubs, or “literature circles” are on the rise, in the year 2000 there were an estimated 100,000 book clubs in the US (Daniels, 2002).
- Around £2.2 billion is spent on books in the UK each year (Interestingliterature, 2015).
- All published books have an International Standard Book Number (ISBN) which is used to identify the publication as well as the specific title, edition and format (Agency, 2014).
Agency, I.I. (2014) What is an ISBN?. Available at: https://www.isbn-international.org/content/what-isbn (Accessed: 2 March 2016).
Daniels, H. (2002) Literature circles: Voice and choice in book clubs and reading groups. Available at: https://books.google.co.uk/books?hl=en&lr=&id=hsIUp1-k5-8C&oi=fnd&pg=PR7&dq=book+clubs&ots=Q1lK13MyoC&sig=
J0hOc8vqxos4gadNsyIvmtU3i98#v=onepage&q=book%20clubs&f=false (Accessed: 2 March 2016).
DeSilver, D. (2014) Overall book readership stable, but e-books becoming more popular. Available at: http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/01/21/overall-book-readership-stable-but-e-books-becoming-more-popular/ (Accessed: 2 March 2016).
Rainie, L. (2014) 7 surprises about libraries in our surveys. Available at: http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/06/30/7-surprises-about-libraries-in-our-surveys/ (Accessed: 2 March 2016).
What is world book day? (2016) Available at: http://www.worldbookday.com/about/ (Accessed: 2 March 2016).
Interestingliterature (2015) 30 interesting facts about books. Available at: http://interestingliterature.com/2015/03/05/30-interesting-facts-about-books/ (Accessed: 2 March 2016).
Seth and Institute, S.B.R. (2014) Reading statistics. Available at: http://www.statisticbrain.com/reading-statistics/ (Accessed: 2 March 2016).